Tuesday 27 September 2011

Bayern - City, thoughts ahead of the game.

Well boys and girls, this is it. Bayern Munich, arguably the most established opponents City have faced in a competitive match in their history, at the Allianz Arena in the Champions League. Does it really get much better than this?

I'll go ahead and say I think we're going to get absolutely smashed to pieces tonight. Many of the players that finished the game on Saturday in the 2-0 win over Everton will start tonight (Silva, Kompany, Clichy, Barry etc.), so it's likely that they will run completely out of steam after 60 minutes or so, and with Bayern boasting world-class talents like Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery I can't see past a Bayern win - I'm sorry.

I think we'll give it a good go for half an hour, but Bayern will eventually get the home crowd behind them and go on to take the game 3-0. If City are to pull off a miracle and win the game, then we need to be at least a goal in front by half time. We know how good we can be at the back on our best defensive days, but Bayern have won their last ten games without conceding a goal. Oops.

I think Mancini may make a bold decision tonight and go with Nigel de Jong in the centre of midfield. However, if he isn't fit I don't see a problem with replacing Yaya with Milner. Milner has been excellent since returning from a hamstring injury late last season, so rewarding him with a Champions League start is a good move in my books.

Of course we have the players capable of securing the unlikely outcome of a City win, but after 60 minutes, I fear our time will run out. I will say right here, around 8 hours before kick-off, that I will happily take a draw.

Bayern Munich 3-0 Manchester City

Image

No comments:

Post a Comment